How I Passed the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam On the First Try
I officially commenced my CCP studying on Jan 12th and spent the better part of the past several weeks during my off hours prepping for the exam. By way of background, I am a non technical product manager and do not profess to have any strong knowledge of the latest tech trends so this definitely felt like a fish out of water experience. However, I recognized the professional benefit of obtaining this certification.
In any case, what did I do?
- Jan 12th: Signed up for A Cloud Guru and hustled through the video materials at 1.5x speed — it prob took about 1–1.5wks for me to get through it during my down time. Continuously reviewed the ACG materials for next ~2wks. I took the sample exams and did decently well. I thought I was ready!
- Feb 4th, morning: Riding that wave of confidence, I booked the exam for Feb 10th
- Feb 4th, evening: It felt too good to be true. Eventually doubt and paranoia overshadowed any feelings of confidence. A quick google search enabled me to obtain free sample CCP questions. I give those a whirl and I got OWNED. HARD.
- Feb 4th, midnight — early hours of Feb 5th: Cue panic and more googling which led me to strong reviews of Jon-Bonso’s AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Practice Exams 2021 on TutorialsDojo. Purchased that along with the study guide. Took the first exam and of course, failed miserably.
- Feb 5th to morning of Feb 10th: Every spare moment was spent either taking a practice exam, reviewing the practice exam answers, reading the AWS whitepapers and the accompanying Jon-Bonso’s study guide.
- Feb 10th, 8am morning: Sat for the online proctored exam via PSI. Took about 60mins to complete the test, hit submit and prayed for the best. I passed! Wooo!
- Definitely purchase Jon-Bonso’s AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Practice Exams 2021. It’s well worth the investment and I thought it was actually harder than the actual exam which isn’t a bad thing. It forced me to up my study game to ensure that I wasnt just wasting my time and $100 exam fee. FWIW, I did see several questions on the actual exam that I came across in the practice exams
- In hindsight, I would not have signed up for A Cloud Guru. The content was not nearly as comprehensive as Jon-Bonso’s and if I solely relied on ACG, I would have definitely failed
- Make sure to really and truly understand why you get a question wrong AND right! Review those answers and really dig deep into Jon-Bonso’s accompanying study guide
- Read the recommended whitepapers — sure, they’re dry and sound like an AWS advertisement but it’s totally necessary.
- During the actual exam, I flagged every question that I was iffy on the first pass. Took another pass through the exam and reviewed every question again. Flagged/unflagged questions after a re-review. To get a comfortably passing grade (which I personally set to 85%), I calculated that I should be iffy on no more than ~9 questions.
By the way, I was totally stunned when I found out my result — I scored 929 out of 1000 points!
Good luck to anyone else out there navigating the CCP path!